Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Why did it take George Floyd's death for Canadians to rediscover their humanity?

For almost three months Canadians had quarantined their humanity out of fear of the novel coronavirus.  When funerals were cancelled hardly a peep was heard, little concern expressed for those grieving the loss of loved ones.  "We have to stop the spread", was the reply, so we have to make sacrifices.  Same when schools were shuttered, with many children also seeing their parents lose their jobs.  Hardly anyone raised a hand to object that this was a recipe for abuse, especially with liquor stores being essential.  

Yes, liquor was essential, but our humanity was locked down.

Back on February 26th I decided to give up on social media posting during the Lenten season.  I ended up breaking that fast on March 18th, unable to hold my digital tongue any longer when I saw the insane response governments were making to combat Covid-19.  

I posted a message to both an investor  forum I was participating in, and then copied and pasted it to my FaceBook page.  I spoke to a family member who, while agreeing with what I said, advised that it was "too soon", and that people were too afraid.  I took it off of Facebook, but it stayed up on the investor forum where I participate with the name growacet.  

Here is what I wrote almost three months ago now:












Well for almost three months it lasted, until George Floyd's brutal murder, and then Canadians finally "grew a set".  It should never have taken that long.  

We can care about racial equality, and about people being separated from loved ones who are dying, for kids locked out of school and locked down with parents who have been tossed out of work with full access to booze, a recipe for abuse if ever there was one.  We can protest for racial justice and police accountability, and speak out for the people dying because their cardiac surgery was delayed, as well as for those who will die because their cancer wasn't detected early.  





No comments: