Monday, June 1, 2020

The night mayor John Lindsay walked the streets of Harlem after the murder of MLK

In 1968 my family lived in New York City, Staten Island to be precise.  I don't remember it, I was in diapers back then.  But my late, great amazing Mother often told the story about how, on the night after Martin Luther King had been assassinated, mayor John Lindsay walked the streets of Harlem. 

Our next door neighbor was a NYC cop, and Mom often quoted Mickey as saying:  "That took guts".  The reason Lindsay walked the streets that night, according to Mom, was to make a gesture, and to  simply say: "I'm sorry".

While other cities erupted and burned, NYC in general and Harlem in particular were mostly calm.  With so much rioting and unrest happening now, its sad there isn't a poltiical leader now with the same guts.  

This only came to mind with recent events, so I fact checked Mom's old story, and she nailed it.  For a better recounting of the history here's an article about it:

https://themorningnews.org/article/the-night-new-york-avoided-a-riot



No comments: