Monday, June 15, 2020

As the clamps come off cases will likely rise....

Lockdown restrictions are easing, in my part of Ontario you can now dine at a restaraunt provided there's a patio.  I've been out on the tennis court several times and have played a couple rounds of golf.  I'm still waiting for my home church to re-open but another congregation has started drive in services.  It's still a long way from normal, but at least we're moving in that direction.

In my small community there is a fear being expressed by some that we will start being inundated with people coming from the GTA where more stringent measures are still in place.  My own opinion is, let them come.  I have never wanted to live in a society where people had to show their papers when out and about.

Covid is not going away anytime soon, and notwithstanding some reports that a vaccine might be available within just a few short months, I believe it is something we're simply going to have to get used to.  

Vaccines typically take 3+ years to develop, and there is good reason for that, it's called safety.  Pre-clinical work followed by phase one, two and three trials are designed to provide mountains of data and lots of time to assure both efficacy and safety.  Rush things along and a vaccine might not prove itself effective, and worse still it might prove to be unsafe.  Side effects can sometimes take years to come to light, and I will not be rolling up my sleeve for at least a couple of years if a shot does become available late this year or early next.

Meanwhile if I gaze into my cracked and cloudy crystal ball I'm seeing places that have largely been spared getting hit hard with new cases.  I don't necessarily view that as a bad thing, so long as cases don't turn into a surge of patients overwhelming the healthcare system.  If the vast majority of cases result in people simply having to isolate themselves at home for 14 days, then all should be good in my view.  

It's past time that the Nanny State backed off and started trusting her children.  We've been at this for three months now and people know the risks.  We've been allowed to shop at Wal-Mart, Home Depot the grocery store and order from Amazon fulfillment centres.  And despite outbreaks none of these places have been forced to shut down.  It's time to let restaraunts and other businesses open their doors and leave it up to individuals to decide whether or not they're comfortable patronizing them or not.  

Life goes on, if you're a person of faith this life isn't the end, it is simply a transitional phase of eternal existence.  For those who think this life is all there is, when it's over....oh well, then it's over.  In the meantime I'll try and leave you with something I think is funny.








No comments: