Friday, August 17, 2012

I've never been a huge fan of Marineland anyway...

I've been to Marineland once, and also to Seaworld in Orlando on one occasion as a child.  I won't be going back.  And frankly, I wish I'd never gone in the first place.

By now you've likely heard about the allegations of poor conditions and sick animals at the Niagara Falls area attraction. The Toronto Star published a revealing exposé on the park this past Wednesday, citing evidence from former employees.  


But even if the killer whales, dolphins, sea lions and such were in perfect health, there's something that strikes me as inherently wrong about penning up creatures and training them to do flips and dives for big bucks at an amusement park.  Marineland isn't cheap, a family of four costs over $150, and that's just admission.

I'm not even a big fan of Zoos, although if they're regulated they do serve a purpose I guess, especially with endangered species.     

I wonder though...Would be reading about this story if Marineland was the property of a major news outlet?  Somehow I doubt it.  It makes me wonder how many stories get spiked because of centralized media ownership.  




No comments: