Monday, October 12, 2020

If this was a movie a good title would be "WAG THE PANDEMIC"

This is one strange, strange pandemic, if it wasn't for the news media I wouldn't even know it existed.

Many have come to the view that we're living in something of a dystopian nightmare.  We're told there's this horrible deadly virus floating around, but people I talk to don't know anyone who's died of it.  In point of fact many don't even have direct knowledge of someone who's even gotten sick from Covid.  The closest thing I hear is something like: "My sister works with a guy who's wife got it".  

I know people from all over Canada, many in the GTA but also quite a few in red zoned Quebec City.  The only case I know of is a woman I haven't seen since high school, and if it weren't for Facebook I wouldn't even know about that case.  One strange strange pandemic.  

It reminds me of the movie Wag The Dog.  For younger readers that's an old movie from the 1990s that starred Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Woody Harrleson and a number of other notables, Willie Nelson is another name playing a character very much like....well, Willie Nelson.

The basic plot involves a Washington fixer staging a war, a non-existent war between the United States and Albania.  And while the war isn't real, in another sense it has to be real because it's on TV.  The war has everything, a hero, visuals, themes, even a stirring song.

I think that's what is missing here.  The Covid Pandemic needs a song.  Something like I LOVE MY MASK might work.  Here's the song for the phony Albanian war from the movie.  




No comments: