Monday, May 25, 2020

We're not all in the same boat, millions are in the water....

We were all on the same boat until the coronavirus iceberg hit.  The boat being the world we knew before, a ship that has now sunk.  We're all in the water now, but some are in lifeboats, some have a life jacket, and some are clinging to debris.  A few are treading water with neither, and some don't know how to swim.  

And its the arrogant selfish jerks in the lifeboats who are the most despicable.  

Empty and meaningless platitudes are used by thoughtless people all the time, those with mental health issues hear them often.  Its always darkest before the dawn.  When you're going through hell, keep going.  Every cloud has a silver lining.  

Well intentioned though they may be, they can in fact be quite cruel.  And this pandemic is showing how thoughtless and self centred people can be, while thinking they're being all virtuous.  "We're all in the same boat".  The inference is that, more or less, everyone is experiencing the same things, the same anxieties and disruptions.  

Think about it, even just a little, and you start to see how absurd a notion it is.

The people in the lifeboats include those working from home, whose only risky activity is going out to the grocery store and pharmacy, or other strictly essential activities.  For maybe an hour or three each week vigilance is required, then its back to the nest, maybe walking around the block.  The lifeboat crowd also includes those who are retired with stable incomes, anyone who doesn't need to go out except for essential activities or to exercise.

Those in the water include the people who are still working.  While everyone else is being urged to do anything and everything to avoid catching the deadly coronavirus, essential factory, meat processing workers, Amazon fulfillment centre employees and tons more are being told:  "Uhm...its not really that bad, you can still go to work, we have to keep the supply chain open for all those nice people in the lifeboats".  

Then there are those who are out of work, buisness owners and their employees who have been forced onto government welfare, if they qualify and not everyone does.  To add insult to injury they're also being told they're not essential.  I've been unemployed, and I know what it does to a person's mental state and sense of self worth, depression is common.  While I doubt many in this situation are reading my pathetic and miserable little blog, if any are please hear this message:  YES!!! YOU ARE ESSENTIAL!!!  You are every bit as essential as a front line health care worker or anyone else.  

That large gathering in Trinity Bellwood Park in Toronto just recently.  I wonder how many of those young twenty and thirtysomethings are still out working?  Experts are telling us that most transmission is occuring indoors, and Amazon fulfillment centres don't exist in the great outdoors.  I don't blame them for going out, and for not being scared.  Sure they're terrifying those who are safe and secure in the lifeboats, but I never much cared for the arrogant and self centred.  




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, still stuck in your mindset, I see. That Toronto crowd, some defecating in little old ladies' back yards, pissing in their driveways and saying fuck it I don't care about anyone but me, they're heroes to you. Right?

You're the Randy Hillier/Don Cherry right wing type presenting yourself as a moderate!

Read this other ProgBlog author's post today, you utter twit:

https://magpiebrule.ca/2020/05/25/not-helping-the-team-the-contrary-mpp/

I've been unemployed myself when my company ejected 286 people one day back in 1995 out of the blue. Took two years to get a regular job again. One guy committed suicide, others had heart attacks. Life ain't fair. But there's a common good to work for in society, and slagging off people forced to stay at home, while others are still in the front line like my best pal is utter BS for a professed Christian. It's just the luck of the draw. My pal works at a car dealership service centre. How essential is that? Who the hell knows, not very it seems to me. Luckily he prefers getting out of the house and they have strict procedures. NS is down to one new case a day so pretty safe unlike Ontario where the mindless seem to want to prolong the agony for ever and you think thay makes sense apparently. Christ, even Ford has woken up from his right wing reverie to a certain extent.

Gordie, you need to have a thnk about the nonsense you spew.

Bill Malcolm

lungta said...

politicians with their thoughts and prayers
celebrities and their love and thanks
all others with the good going hang in there
it gags me too
tho i learned 50 years ago
praise don't buy whiskey

Gordie Canuk said...

Bill....moving on to ad hominem attacks now I see, not surprising but I'll do my best not to respond in kind. As I mentioned in an earlier comment to you my middle school days are far behind me.

I do agree with one of your points whole heartedly, that life isn't fair. It sucks that so many of the elderly and sick are having their days cut a little shorter. Its a crappy choice to have to make certainly but my greater sympathy is with all the unemployed people forced onto government welfare...the spouses who are being abused, the kids subject to being home with potentially addictive parents...mental, physical and sexual abuse were around before the pandemic, and I'm sadly sure they're worse now. If siding with the marginalized somehow makes me not progressive, that's okay.

You and I have differing values/opinions, and that's to be expected in a progressive liberal democracy. One should be able to consider differing viewpoints without resorting to school yard style attacks, hopefully you'll get there at some point.

I do absolutely agree with your point about people urinating and defecating in people's backyards and the rest, respect for other people's property is also important to me....I didn't mention it because that wasn't the central issue for me.

Thanks for reading and keep well....

Lungta

Thank you for reading as well, I'm supposedly "essential" but I was always essential in the way that matters most. Don't worry, I'm not much of a drinker. I have a neighbour, 74 and widowed and she is struggling with the isolation. We sat on her front porch a few nights back, 6+ feet apart, and enjoyed a couple of rhum and cokes, the first drinks I've had in over a month.

Keep well