Sunday, May 24, 2020

Large gatherings at Toronto's Trinity Bellwood park - Now we'll see what happens....

My anti lockdown opinions notwithstanding, this is not the kind of activity I would take part in or even advocate.  Lest anyone think otherwise, I do not buy into any of the conspiracy theories and I do not believe the coronavirus is a hoax, it is very real.  With that being said I do not think the threat warranted the measures brought in by governments and health officials.  But for the moment that is beside the point.

I first saw this tweeted by blogTO, but I wanted at least one additional and preferably mainstream source before chiming in, and I found it with CityNews.  First here's the video from City:

>


And here's a link to blogTO's tweet which also includes video, in my opinion a better quality video as well:

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1264306674296393728

It was to prevent this very type of activity that lockdown measures such as closing parks were introduced.  Large gatherings such as this, even outdoors, we're told will lead to rapid spread of the virus and cause a surge in cases that threatens to overwhelm our hospitals.  

After leaving this park many will go to homes where family members live, some will go to work, ride transit, buy gas, head to grocery stores.  Looking at both videos I think its quite reasonable to say there must have been hundreds of people in this Trinity Bellwood Park, maybe even one thousand or more.  The chances that not one single person at this park is an asymptomatic carrier would contradict everything our medical experts have been telling us.  

Given the incubation period and the time to onset of symptoms I'm figuring we're looking at 5 to 14 days from now when cases and most importantly hospitalizations should start to climb  And I'm also figuring that this was not a unique event, that there were likely other similar type happenings in other large urban park settings.  

According to the most recent data provided by the Ontario Hospital Association there are currently 964 patients hospitalized for treatment of Covid-19, with 153 being in ICUs and 120 on ventilators.  

If the experts are right we'll be seeing those numbers climbing substantially.  I'm hoping the experts are wrong, again.  




No comments: