Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kony 2012 - Grassroots campaign or manufactured outrage?

Disclosure, I haven't watched the Kony 2012 video.  I think I'm one of about 12 people in Canada who haven't. 

I did catch some of it on network news however, and like any person with a heart and a pulse, I was sickened.  It is unbelievable to me the atrocities that continue to take place all over the world.  And violence against children is always reprehensible.

With that being said, I was struck by something tweeted by journalist Eric Margolis back on March 8th:


Sadly Kony isn't the world's only war criminal, what that he were.  The Taliban is brutal and repressive, the Uzbeks are every bit as bad...oops, they're on our side.  Regardless, there are any number or countries that western powers, (primarily the U.S.) could police. 

But at least with the viral nature of this YouTube video, Obama has political cover should this latest foray escalate.  The fact that the U.S. is committing troops isn't really news in fact. 

Africa is a resource rich continent, and has been a battle ground for centuries.  As U.S. president Obama said recently:

"....deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy..."

All I can hope is that eventually children living in this area will be able to live in peace and security.  In many other parts of the world, they're still waiting.

No comments: