Friday, December 3, 2010

Do Canadians have an inferiority complex regarding the U.S.? I sure as hell don't

Although I'm precluded from viewing any of the WikiLeaks material dominating much of the news lately, I do of course read and hear about it in mainstream media like the Toronto Star.
Thursday's paper quoted a cable sent from the U.S. embassy in Ottawa to Washington lauding President Obama's decision to make Canada his first foreign destination. And it went on to say the visit would diminish "Canada's habitual inferiority complex vis a vis the U.S.".

REALLY???

That's news to me. and this is coming from the perspective of a person who spent the majority of his youth, (up until the age of 12) growing up in the land of the free and the home of brave. When I was a kid I thought New Jersey was THE PLACE to be. I know, I know...you're saying "New Jersey....WTF"!!! Gimme a break okay, I was only in grade 4 at the time, and had lived there half my life.
I do think there was probably an inferiority complex back in the 70s and before....but certainly since the 90s I think Canadians have tossed that feeling aside and we've really found our legs as a nation of the world.


While our American cousins wallowed in bloated deficits Canada's government finally got its fiscal house in order, ensuring the continuation of our much loved national health care. When we were racking up huge deficits year after year it looked like groups like the National Citizens Coalition would finally get their wish for private medicine in Canada, but it didn't happen and won't so long as we restore fiscal balance by ensuring that tax revenues meet or exceed costs.


We're the best hockey country in the world, sure we always were but it took a couple more Olympic golds for our men and women's teams to get us really jazzed up about our national sport....sorry lacrosse, but you know its the truth.


We know about our country and we know about the world, we're Canadians and we're proud of it. Sure we might be jealous of some countries over this and that, like a warm December in Australia....but inferior to the U.S.?!?!?
Get a grip.


We're liked around the world because we don't stick our nose into every corner of the globe. But when called upon? Canadians are always there to help.


I could go on and on...reading someone say that Canadians habitually view this country as being inferior to the U.S. really got my goat. Sweden, Australia....okay, maybe a bit, especially the Aussies....but not the United States.


What do you think eh!!!

No comments: