Friday, January 2, 2009

A Small Look Back, A Big Look Forward



2008 is now in the history books, but before I outline some of the topics I’ll be blogging about in the coming year, I’d like to take a quick look back at those most commented on in 2008. It’s a short list, given that I didn’t start this blog until November 26th, but I was happy to see that some of my postings did elicit discussion. Take a look back if you wish, I’m sure some of these topics will be revisited in the coming year.

Both with 6 comments:
Welcome to Wrestle-Mania!!! AKA Canadians Politics
Conservative MP Wants Abortion Debated Reopened

With 4 Comments
A Polarized Political Winter In Canada

And lastly those with 3 Comments
Merry Christmas From Canadian Soapbox (my favourite)
Harper’s Economic Solution – More Politicians

Well, that's enough about 2008, onto 2009. Obviously in the coming year I’ll be writing about the evolving political landscape. What further action will Prime Minister Harper be taking during this period when our elected members are on "time-out"? Once parliament is back in session we shall see if Harper’s Conservatives are able to survive a confidence vote on the budget they’ll be presenting January 27th. There is bound to be plenty of intrigue, in other words lots of material for a dedicated blogger.

The economy will be an issue that is front and centre for many Canadians, and unfortunately I am quite certain that we haven’t come anywhere near the end of this global economic crisis. While the worst of the sub-prime mortgage mess may be behind us, there are other shoes left to drop. What actions will governments take, and how successful or damaging will they be? Lots of questions to be answered in the coming months, hopefully we’ll be able to find some answers.

Being neighbour to the world’s only remaining Super-Power it would be impossible, not to mention irresponsible, to not talk about the oft described ‘elephant in the room’. Barack Obama has set the bar unbelievably high for himself as he takes the reigns and moves into the Oval Office. How will the United States weather this financial storm while dealing with wars on two battlefields? How much of Obama’s agenda will be addressed and how much will be deferred or abandoned? Like it or not, we all know that our fate is very much linked to our American friends.

I’ll continue to write about the abortion debate, and the continued involvement of our military in Afghanistan. I also plan to be reading and learning as much as I can about the situation involving US war resisters who have moved to Canada seeking asylum. This is an issue being dealt with extensively on a blog I’m closely following: We Move To Canada. The writer of that blog has detailed (and continues to detail) her experiences in emigrating from the U.S. to Canada. I have a great deal of sympathy for any soldier who makes a decision of conscience not to fight, and I’ll do what I can to lend my voice to the majority of Canadians who wish to see this nation grant refuge to these brave individuals.

I’m sure there will be plenty to write about, whether anticipated or not. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. If you wish to engage me directly, don’t be shy about sending an email, I promise to respond.

Comments are welcomed, I read them all. Feel free to pass this blog entry along via email or through a social network like FaceBook, just click on the ‘Share This’ icon below.



Go To Canadian Soapbox Home

No comments: