Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Summertime in Québec City - Encroyable!!!

Bonjour everybody.

I am having an absolutely magnificent summer residing in Québec's capital city.  No I haven't taken a position with the local tourist board here, however it will probably seem like it.  My kids stayed with me for ten days during my vacation, then after returning to work my father came and spent a week.  

It was a very busy, but worth every minute.  I just wish there was more time.  

I'd been to Québec many times before, but this is the first time I've actually lived here, and there's a lot more to do and see than many have probably realized.  I'm sure most visitors to Québec go and take in the old city, behind the walls.  

Here's a picture taken from the Citadel of the Chateau Frontenac, they're replacing the copper roof.


But that's just the beginning.  For those that are into a bit of thrill seeking and adventure there's going tree to tree north of city, or if you prefer 'arbre en arbre'.  Zip lining, rope bridges and Tarzan ropes take you over miles of forest up around the Laurentian mountains, with some spectacular views.  The journey ends with very sore arms and a zip line covering 1,000 feet.


If you're a baseball fan needing a fix, Québec's Capitales have you covered.  They play in the independent Can-Am league, which is mostly populated with has beens and never weres.  Its good baseball that's probably at about the AA professional level, maybe even AAA.  

And the atmosphere is electric.  If you've gone to a Jays' game at the Sky-Dome (yeah I know that isn't the name but I don't care) and thought you accidentally wandered into the library, then you're in for a shock.  The fans are loud and they're having fun, with lots of yelling...in English.  Whenever the fans aren't happy with a call the stands resound with a cry of, "Come On Ref"!!!  I was thinking of correcting some leather lunged patrons near me, but I figured they didn't care...ump, ref, c'est toujours la meme chose.

The ball yard is classic, probably seating around 5,000 I would guess, with bullpens down the right and left field lines and a terrace or patio area in the left field corner.


I can go on and on and on and on.  I'll let the pictures do the talking now though.  Here's some shots of Mount Morency falls just east of the downtown, another smaller water fall on the Wendat Mohawk reserve, and then the water park at Valcartier Vacation Village.






There's still lots of summer left, so if you're trying to think of where to spend a week or just a few days, give Québec some thought.  

And don't worry if you don't speak French, there are lots of bilingual people here, especially in tourist places.  Better still, dust off your old high school French and give it a shot, it might not be perfect or even close, but Québecers really appreciate the effort.

No comments: