Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oh Canada - Oh bother...Here's A New National Anthem.....

You may have heard some of the kerfuffle over a New Brunswick Principal's decision to stop having the singing of Oh Canada as part of opening exercises at his elementary school. It hit the news about a week ago, and I didn't give it much thought. But it does seem to be generating a fair degree of discussion in both the blogosphere and through traditional media. Funny thing is the school went a whole year without singing it...and nobody noticed.

Frankly I think there are slightly more serious issues that Canadians need to be worrying about right now. On the other hand this kind of debate about nothing does help us take our minds off more pressing concerns. Personally I like our anthem just fine, and I have no issue with it being sung at the start of the school day. I think it teaches our kids that they are part of a larger community, that they have connection to a greater slice of humanity. I can however see the point about it being a form of indoctrination, and how some might take offense at pledging allegiance (as it were) to a transient political body.

With that in mind I thought I'd write a new anthem for proverbial s##ts and giggles. Without further adieu I give you the new and improved Oh Canada, coming soon to a sporting or cultural event near you:

Oh Canada
The place I now reside
I think it’s nice
You need not take my side

With tolerance
I sing this song
About my nice country

From north to south
And east to west
In town, burb or city

Please let me sing
Softly in this crowd

Oh Canada
Where dissent is allowed

Oh Canada
Where dissent is allowed


Click To Vote For This Post At Progressive Bloggers!!!

Comments are welcomed, I read them all. Feel free to pass this blog entry along via email or through a social network like FaceBook, just click on the ‘Share This’ icon below.




Back To Canadian SoapBox Home

No comments: