Monday, November 1, 2010

The Toronto Sun Lost This Reader...

I've been reading the Toronto Sun for YAHRS...for longer than I'd care to admit. But no longer, not since I found out my favourite columnist has been shown the door after over 20 years of writing for the publication.

Eric Margolis, a Vietnam war vet and resident of NYC has been unceremoniously shown the door. I noticed his column wasn't gracing the pages of the Sunday editions, but that's happened before due to his taking time off. An IM session with a current employee however confirmed that Mr. Margolis was released a couple months back.

The Sun has changed, it used to be a free for all editorially, with all points of view given space. I guess that's no longer the case.

For those sufficiently motivated CLICK HERE to read a blog for former Sun employees.

Apparently all this went down under the watch of one Kory Teneycke. I realize that for hyper observers of all the goings on with Canada's far right neo-cons, that this is very old news.

For those unaware Mr. Tenecyke also had ties to Preston Manning, Stephen Harper and former Ontario Premier Mike Harris. (READ HERE)

The former lobbyist was spearheading the charge for Sun TV, or Fox North as some have dubbed it. I'm actually all in favour of yet another right leaning endeavour clogging the crowded media space. With other conservative minded news outlets bleeding red ink I would enjoy a little schadenfreude at the expense of those trying to hoodwink gullible (they think) Canadians into their failed political ideology.

Margolis would probably still be writing for the Sun in my opinion, had he dealt with issues involving Israel less even handedly.

No comments: